Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Egan Joe Egan is offline

Default stopping "pop" in new set up?

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 3:21:10 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/6/2018 1:55 PM, JBI wrote:
The Presonus speakers and Behringer 202 box are connected both to one
another with the box plugged in to the laptop USB port.Â* Booting up the
laptop, I seem to get an annoying "pop" from the speakers.Â* Doesn't seem
to matter if I have the volume on the Behringer turned all the way down,
I still get the pop.Â* What's the best way to circumvent this?

Turn the speakers on after the computer is finished making all of its
rude noises. I have a sequenced power strip that has a few outlets that
come on as soon as I switch the power on, a few that come on about 10
seconds later, and the ones that the power amplifier for the monitors
are plugged in comes on 30 seconds later.

I got mine at a hamfest for about $5, but they're pretty expensive
normally. You're better off just getting a cheap switched power strip,
plug the speakers into that, and turn them off before you shut down the
computer, and then, when you boot up the computer and start playing some
audio and don't hear anything, you'll remember to switch on the speakers.

I have powered outlet strips in a few places around my control room. One on my computer rack, one on my console, and one one on my effects rack. I power up the computer first, the console (well, the C|24- I sold my analog D&R Cinemix a few years back), and one on my outboard rack which also controls my monitors. I reverse the order when I power down. I had to use trial and error to figure out what to plug where, but I finally have everything set so there are no pops. I really like having just
three switches control the dozens of AC powered devices.