Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I've got a bog-standard soundcard with the standard line in and
microphone ports. I'd like to record off them both at once, but can't
work out how to do it.

Most of them aren't built that way. Why not just pick up an
inexpensive mixer and connect its output to your sound card's line
input. Even the cheapest mixer will give you better results with a
microphone than the mic input on even the best built-in sound card,
and you'll have a nice headphone amplifier to monitor the mix that
you're recording.

How's Behringer over there? Something like the UB802 ($50 in the US)
should do fine for you.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )