Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Rich Wilson Rich Wilson is offline

Default Bookshelf spkrs for classical

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price range
is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the B&W DM602
S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have a medium
sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning towards the
Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

I'd avoid Wharfedale Diamonds. I tried some a while back and they make your
music sound surprisingly dull and lifeless. There didn't seem to be much
actually recognisably wrong with the sound but I found even my favourite
music sounded what I can only describe as "boring". After a few minutes I
really didn't want to listen any more.

As I remember I also tried Monitor Audios (can't remember which model) and
they were better. I'm still kicking myself for not trying the B&Ws. I
actually got Mission Volares (now renamed as the M60 series), which I'd say
are definitely worth a listen, particularly if you need small speakers that
sound much bigger than they really are. I imagine that for classical music
they'd be best paired with a fairly warm-sounding amp.

Hope that helps.