Posted to rec.audio.car
direct direct is offline

Default beginner install troubles

Ok, actually post install troubles. After installation, everything work
fine. Over the next month, some humming/noise developed, and was
occassionally quite bad. Then my wife stuffed the trunk full of stuff and
shoved the amp and sub-box to the side resulting in some wiring problems. I
replaced the rca cable from the head-unit to the amp and now there is no
sound when configured the same way as originally installed. BUT

- if I only plug one channel of the rca into the amplifer, there is sound
- if I directly connect an ipod to both channels of the amp, there is sound.
(so probably not an amp issue)
- if I just touch the post on the rca cable to the inside of the jack on the
amp, there is sound. Even though the outer part of the cable is not yet in
contact with the jack!
- in all cases, there is either no sound, or clear sound with no apparent
noise/buzzing

ideas?