Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Recommend me a valve amp to go with Quad ESL 63s

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:55:54 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
Here goes the math again - into the Quads:

1 watt = 86 dB
10 watts = 96 dB
100 watts = 106 dB

35 watts = 98 dB
75 Watts = 103 dB

Maybe you want to run your math ONE more time. You claim:

75 Watts = 103 dB
100 Watts = 106 dB

Well, double the power results in a 3 dB increase in level,
assuming everything is reasonably linear. So how do you get
from 75 watts = 103 dB to 100 watts = 106 dB?

Assume, however, that 1 watt = 86 dB, the system is linear,
and that we're still assuming that dB = 10*log10(Px/Pref),
thus

1 Watt = 86 dB (Pref)
2 Watts = 89 dB
5 Watts = 93 dB
7.5 Watts = 95 dB (really 94.8)
10 Watts = 96 dB
20 Watts = 99 dB
50 Watts = 103 dB
75 Watts = 105 dB (really 104.8)
100 Watts = 106 dB

So the difference between 75 watts in and 100 watts in is NOW 3 dB, but
about 1 dB.