Posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

Default How to test how good my PSU electrolytics are in an old amp?

On 6 May 2006 15:41:21 -0700, "royalmp2001"
Gave us:

Thanks Chris for such an excellent detailed and knowledgeable reply.
You sound as if you are in the repair/service business....

The best thing to do if you want another twenty plus years out of
the equipment is to gather all the values up, and purchase all new 105
C units, and then replace them all. At that point, you have restored
the circuit to original specs, and have increased the life of the unit
ten fold over what it could be expected to last in its current state.

I have a 25 year old laser disc player that most assuredly has EL cap
problems. Other than that, it will be fine when I finally get around
to servicing it.

I have two ten dollar (thrift store) LD players, and one $30 Plays
both side, does it all model (also thrift store), so I am not in a
rush.