Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

Default Home Studio Sound treatment/Sound Proofing Question

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

I think your information is incorrect. A facility does not submit
theoretical paperwork to get certified. It is based on actual
measurements by company (Dolby) representatives.
*THX Professional Facility certification,* for example.

Where did I say this was not the case? Please don't put words
in my mouth.

You wrote "manual and a fancy calculator for figuring
room modes." I'm not interested in this whatsoever.

Well, indeed, that's what Dolby will give you. I have one on my
desk at home. They have a standard kit which includes the aforementioned
manual which describes the measurements and what the allowable limits
are, and includes the aforementioned calculator. I believe if you look
on the Dolby web site you will probably see a mention of this.

meth-od-ol-o-gy (meth uh dol'uh jee) n. pl. -gies
1. a set or system of methods, principles,
and rules used in a given discipline, as
in the arts or sciences.

As in actual tester methodology for certification.

Yes, of course they do that.

Before I waste valuable time, as I understand it, the
Dolby web site contain some document you vaguely
recall but have no title or link to. In addition this
document will contain essential information to me such
as where in my specific facility/room testing will take
place, what testing microphone type will be used,
signal generator algorithm, ect.... the overall
methodology such that I can assure my certification
before actual testing takes place ... because as
you wrote it is only "calculation". Is this your
overall position, Scott? An associate assures me that
based his research of companies which will actually
build and warrant such facilities is very expensive...
$120-250 per square. You seriously underestimate
the finances and labor involved in certification.
Your best advice so far "bookshelves."