Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

Default Home Studio Sound treatment/Sound Proofing Question

On Feb 29, 8:41 am, Anahata wrote:
GarageGuitar wrote:
So I guess I'll be looking onto lots of foam..... Any ideas on how to
neatly foam a ceiling with pot lights in it? Maybe a checkerboard of
12x12 squares with lights in opne spaces......

To reduce the bass problems you need *depth* of absorbing material. Put
as much thickness as you can on the ceiling without hitting your head on
the bottom of it, leaving gaps where the lights are.

You should easily be able to add 8 inches thickness of absorbing
material, or possible save money by having a 4" gap and 4" of absorbent
material below that on a false ceiling framework. Dense fibre glass is
better than foam.

On the walls you've covered with foam, instead of covering the whole
wall with foam, cover half the wall with double the thickness. Try to
get bare parts of the wall facing treated parts, so there's no place
where sound can bounce back and forth between them.

It won't be perfect but you'll get less bass resonance and less
"deadness" at the same time.

Anahata

Ethan Winer's bass traps (which I have been planning to build but have
not yet done) use somewhat thin amounts of rigid fiberglass. From
what I gather, the designs he has are quite scientific and use a small
amount of deadening material coupled with a resonant membrane (just a
piece of plywood cut to a specific size and mounted at a specific
depth) to do what we all have mostly done with huge amounts of
absorptive materials. Even the deep bass traps are only 4" deep. So
they would easily fit in your small room (on the walls or ceiling).

There are three slightly different designs that alternately trap deep
bass, high bass and mid/high sounds. Using some of each you get a
nicely balanced sound.

Ethan you out there? Why do your thin panels work?

Here's the website for his designs:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html