Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Audio Mixer

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message

For recording speech you want a mixer with a half decent
compressor/limiter.

They are relatively rare, particularly if you're talking equipment that
is not fairly expensive.

Still?

True.

I'm not terribly up to date on the cheaper end of the market but
expected 'they'd' have got this sorted by now.

While there are a lot of cheap mixers with EFX, its all reverb-oriented.

I think that the only mixers that Behringer makes that has built-in
compression/limiting are digital.

Although I can quite
understand Behringer expecting you to buy an outboard one from them as
well.

A lot of mixers are used for live sound, and compression and limiting can
make live sound very complex and hard to manage, when feedback starts being
an issue.

Most compression and limiting I see used for SR is packaged as amplifier
management, along with the crossovers.

Although those are often far to complex for a simple task like this.

That's just it. The OP's basic need could be filled by a sub-$100 mixer,
particuarly if he didn't have clients he wanted to impress with an expensive
piece of equipment.