Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

Default Audio Mixer

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

For recording speech you want a mixer with a half decent
compressor/limiter.

Many ppl have managed without compressors just fine.

Depends on how you define 'fine'.

The OP suggests it will be for recording public meetings with multi-mics.
So by nature no real chance to pre-set levels at a rehearsal - especially
if there are questions from the audience. Of course if recording to good
digital you could simply record leaving plenty headroom. But then
you'll likely end up with a dynamic range far too great for home listening.

I record speech (as well as other things) for a living and even on drama
where you do get a rehearsal I'd end up with clipping on occasion without
the use of a compressor. In my case, an SQN mixer - which has probably the
finest one available for this sort of thing.

Of course like all these aids you need to know what it does and how to use
it.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.