Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

Audio Empire wrote:
: On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:00:45 -0700, Romy the Cat wrote
: (in article ):

: What I found the most amassing in this story is that presentation was
: made for Audio Engineering Society and it looks like they were
: AMAZED!!!
:

: I think that they were amazed by the sound of the difference signal between
: the unaltered master and the compressed copy. It was that so much
: "extraneous" info was removed from the master that it was apparently possible
: to still tell what the music was supposed to be and who was singing it.
: That's a lot of loss.

Maybe. But if the info removed was masked by other, louder sounds, then
wouldn't the two in principle be indistinguishable?

Consider a visual analogy. You're mking a movie, and need to
have a set that looks like the White House. But only the front of the White House
(from a range of angles, so it's the front, and parts of the sides), the Oval Office, and
a few other administrative offices.

Someone then builds a demonstration, which is every part of the WH -- including many of the rooms,
the entire back side, the basement, etc. -- that your movie set didn't include.

There would be a lot of building there, absolutely none of which would have been relevant to the
replication of the WH in your movie.

--Andy Barss