Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:49:23 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 27, 7:51=A0am, Dick Pierce wrote:
Scott wrote:

"Gross distortions?"
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/...

Any mention of Steve Hoffman is incomplete without

=A0 =A0http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

to put his views in a somewhat more complete perspective.

Very interesting argument Dick. So is it your position that the
results of *blind listening tests* are invalid if the listener has
ever been swayed by bias effects under *sighted* conditions? Because
that looks to be the argument you are infering by suggesting we look
at Steve Hoffman's opinions of a particular product based on *sighted*
listening before we consider the results of his *blind* comparisons of
a fresh cut laquer and the master tape.

I'd say that's it's impossible to do a DBT between a vinyl record and a
master tape. The surface noise on an LP is always going to give it away.
While it is possible to have a record that is very quiet, and relatively free
of ticks and pops, it is darn near impossible to find one (even a new one)
that is perfectly quiet, with a smooth background like the tape (tape hiss
doesn't count). That means that the listeners will always be able to tell
whether they're listening to the tape or the vinyl playback, and it won't
have anything to do with the actual "sound" of the two. They could be
identical in sound, but the record surface noise will give the game away
every time.