Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:47:57 -0700, vlad wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 26, 4:41=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:42:04 -0700, vlad wrote
(in article ):

I listen AAC lossles (data reduction about 50%) and the sound is
magnificent.

Lossless isn't a problem.

Also MP3 at the rate of 320kb is undistinguishable from
the original. So what do you mean by "lousy sound"?

I know that I
CAN and do hear the artifacts

in sighted comparison, of course? :-)

Unsighted too...

Tell us more about it. I cannot wait to hear. What were bias controls,
what compression algorithms were used, what was the bit-rate, etc.?

I happened to listen music from internet radio at the rate 32kbs, at
this speed you do not need bias controls, artifacts were obvious and
horrendous. So did you hear any artifacts at 320kbs?

Sure can hear artifacts at 320 kbs - on headphones, though, not so much on
speakers unless you turn the volume way up. However at less than 320 kbs,
it's easy to hear compression artifacts, even on speakers.

=A0 =A0 I was also amused by the fact that any gross distortions of LP
technology(you don't have to have "golden ears" to distinguish master
tape from LP printed from it) are immediately excused by high-end
community. Claims like "I am notdisturbedby it", "I can listen
through clicks-n-pops", etc. are common. Double standard, if you ask
me :-)

Not really a double standard, because the artifacts in lossy compression =

and
the artifacts in LP are quite different. The distortion that rides on MP3=

and
other lossy, compressed music formats is actual un-correlated distortion =

that
sounds like buzzing bees riding the waveform. It really detracts from the
music. While the occasional ticks and pops on LP are momentary, and the L=

distortion is mostly euphonic and doesn't SOUND like distortion.

Did not I say exactly this in a paragraph you are responding
to? :-)

Any LP's artifacts are quite "listenable" and even "pleasing" to
"golden ears". LP has a different sound from master tape, 100th
pressing sounds different then the first one, etc. etc. And still the
final result is OK to pursuers of high-end analog sound.

Not any lossy compression is evil. Lossles compression does not
affect sound in principle.

Just in fact...

And don't confuse it with dynamic range
compression.

I don't.

It has nothing to do with data compression.

Apparently it messes with dynamic range as an artifact.

Tell us more about it. :-) Or may be we have to ask people who are
experts in compression technology?

It would be stupid not to use lossless compression when you are
transferring and saving on HD massive amounts of audio.

Sure if you don't care about audio quality. I just happen to be one who d=

oes.

And what makes you think that I don't care about audio quality?
Lossless compression preserve original bit stream bit by bit.

Nobody's discussing lossless compression. Lossless compression should be bit
perfect (or it's not lossless, now is it? 8^)

So what is there for you that degrades the sound?

In losslessly compressed music? NOTHING, but then nobody is complaining about
lossless compression files.