Posted to rec.audio.high-end
vlad vlad is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

On Sep 25, 1:59=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:17:37 -0700, Edmund wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
One thing that's consistent with the
"Everything-Sounds-The-Same" club is the
notion that the Redbook CD standard (16-bit/44.1 Khz sampling
rate) is so
good that going to 24-bits and either 96 KHz or 192 KHz
sampling rate (or
SACD) makes no audible difference in music recordings. The flip
side of this
rather incredible assertion (and just as incredible itself) is
the claim, by
many of these same people that MP3, AAC and other lossy
compression schemes
are, at the higher bit-rates, totally benign and invisible and
that one
cannot hear any compression artifacts.

I want to propose to all of us to call these reduction scheme's
what it is
"DATA/INFORMATION =A0REDUCTION"
OTOH "compression" is lossless per definition! the weird name
like
lossless compression is forced to us bysmartcrooked sales
people.

There is nothing wrong with compression like ZIP; RAR or FLAC
and everything wrong with data/information reduction like MP3

Edmund

I don't know if "wrong" is the correct word or not, I mean most people se=

em
happy to listen to MP3s, AAC et al in spite of the lousy sound.

I listen AAC lossles (data reduction about 50%) and the sound is
magnificent. Also MP3 at the rate of 320kb is distinguishable from
the original. So what do you mean by "lousy sound"?

I know that I
CAN and do hear the artifacts

in sighted comparison, of course? :-)

(especially on headphones - which I find
ironic, since that's how most people mostly listen to "data reduced'
formats). I have never heard any problems with FLAC, ALC, and other 'data
complete' compression schemes.

I was also amused by the fact that any gross distortions of LP
technology (you don't have to have "golden ears" to distinguish master
tape from LP printed from it) are immediately excused by high-end
community. Claims like "I am not disturbed by it", "I can listen
through clicks-n-pops", etc. are common. Double standard, if you ask
me :-)

Not any lossy compression is evil. Lossles compression does not
affect sound in principle. And don't confuse it with dynamic range
compression. It has nothing to do with data compression.

It would be stupid not to use lossless compression when you are
transferring and saving on HD massive amounts of audio.

vlad