Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

On Sep 25, 12:56=A0pm, jwvm wrote:
On Sep 25, 1:17=3DA0pm, "Edmund" wrote:

snip

I want to propose to all of us to call these reduction scheme's
what it is
"DATA/INFORMATION =3DA0REDUCTION"
OTOH "compression" is lossless per definition! the weird name
like
lossless compression is forced to us by smart crooked sales
people.

There is nothing wrong with compression like ZIP; RAR or FLAC
and everything wrong with data/information reduction like MP3

Really? Good luck on your next mobile phone call if you don't want to
use lossy encoding.

For sure, no greater hi fidelity than cell phones. ( : - O )

Do DVD movies sound terrible because they also use
lossy encoding.?

They sound terrible because they are generally not recorded with
audiophile sensibilities in mind. It's all about explosions and other
ear damaging sound effects. But...DVDs are step down at best compared
to the best cinema sound.

You would appear to be in a very small minority since
most listeners seem to have at least some tolerance for this
technology.

What tolerance? I can't tell the difference between a cel phone or a
DVD of a blockbuster movie and the real thing......

Not really the best way to defend lossy compression.