Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default KISS Amp 300B Ultrafi finalized; circuit updated

John Byrns wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

flipper wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

You do know that DC filaments on DHT sound like ****, don't you

I, too, would like to hear that explained.

You build tube amps to have the tone quality under your own control.
Most audiophiles arrived there by observing that silicon amps do not
faithfully reproduce the experience of the concert hall.

Absence of any answer noted.

It sounded like an answer to me, essentially what he suggested was that
you try it both with DC, and then with AC and choose the one that sounds
best to you.

Yes that's how I'd do it too !

A lot of people seem to prefer the sonics of AC heating,
and I will give it my vote too, the only major downside of AC heating
being a greater difficulty in banishing the last vestiges of hum. I
suspect you are actually looking for an explanation of the physics that
make AC heating sound better than DC heating, but the important thing is
the sound.

The important thing to me that there is a real difference. I can speculate about
the physics involved, I've taken a stab at it before. I was wondering perhaps if
Jootikins had come across any explanation in his travels.

My suspicion is that if there's an audible difference it may be amplitude
modulation of the signal at 2 x line frequency. That hardly bodes well for the
'purity' or 'fidelity' of such an amplifier ! It may be an interesting effect
for sure though.

Graham