Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default KISS Amp 300B Ultrafi finalized; circuit updated

The "KISS Amp WE300B SE Ultrafi" (1) has been finalized. This is a
project that was designed step by step on rec.audio.tubes. The
amplifier is single-ended, zero negative feedback, built with Western
Electric signal and power tubes and a Mullard tube rectifier. There are
(counting by the Gaincard method which leaves the attenuator and power
supply out of the count!) six components in the signal path: 3
resistors, a cap and two tubes. It is a truly silent amplifier (It
sacrifices half the power for that silence) and in particular the
output is free of any odd harmonics. The circuit with a single WE 417A
tube doing both input and driver duty is at:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T...trafi-crct.jpg
The companion, somewhat simpler and less expensive "standard good" 300B
SE amplifier in the ultrafi set, the 300B SE amplifier "Populaire" with
two stages of 6SN7 tubes, has been previously published at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T44bis-'Populaire'-crct.jpg
Both amplfiers are described in The KISS Amp section of Jute on Amps
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T...mp%20INDEX.htm
From the introduction: "THE KISS AMP 300B project is an attempt to take

the tube amp designer by the hand and lead him through all the highways
and byways of designing an ultrafi amp, including the thought
processes, the math and the development. It is half-engineering course,
half metaphysics, half bloodyminded prejudice and alltogether
infuriatingly complex because the simplicity of KISS has a very high
price. It has its own index page for the text and another for the
illustrations. You will find the majority of the most useful core
articles in the old Jute on Amps site in The KISS Amp 300B files,
rearranged and rewritten to make the interdependence of tube design
decisions manifest."
Suitable speakers for these amplifiers are also shown, the expensive
first
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...20T91HWAF3.jpg
and then the almost ridiculously cheap
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...Impresario.jpg
More of my amplifiers, both solid state and tube (valve) are at Jute on
Amps
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20ON%20AMPS.htm
You are also invited to visit my overall netsite which has information
on a couple of of my professions, as a novelist and as a typographere,
and some of my other interests: music both live and recorded which I
reviewed for many years for papers around the world, watches,
bicycling, cooking, etc.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/

Many helped along the way by a cheery "Thanks!", or a private note
telling me not to succumb before the assaults of the silicon slime and
the other useless egomaniacs who create nothing except flamewars on the
very few remaining productive members of RAT. (For proof, read on in
the rest of this thread.)

Among those who provided relevant technical advice I must in particular
and in alphabetical order thank Steve Bench, John Byrns, Doug Bannard
and Patrick Turner. Even more admirable than their knowledge is their
patience! Controversial opinions, errors and omissions are mine, of
course.

Pay due respect to high voltage and live long!

Andre Jute
Sauvitor in modo, fortiter in res
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"