Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default LP vs CD - Again. Another Perspective

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 08:37:21 -0800, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 4, 6:30=A0pm, Doug McDonald wrote:
On 3/4/2011 2:35 PM, ScottW wrote:

Now I'm not saying that some people can't hear well above 20kHz, but
I've never meant anyone who could prove it.

All you need is me and a time machine.

I DID test using a signal generator, a good quality HP one, and
an AR3a speaker. I really could hear very clearly, strongly,
to 22 kHz, and weakly to 23. Some others could too.

I wonder if that classic tweeter really has low enough distortion at
those frequencies to be useful for such a test.

ScottW

Not really. I read an article somewhere that actual audiometry tests are the
only sure way of checking hearing response above about 16KHz. Of course, to
check whether one can hear to 16 KHz (well, 15,750 Hz, actually) all one need
do is get near an NTSC TV with the back off! 8^)

I used to be really annoyed by the horizontal flyback transformer "singing"
as I worked on TVs in college. Haven't heard that piercing sound for years
now. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that most modern
digital TVs don't have high-voltage flyback circuits at all because they
don't use CRTs, and even if they do, they would no longer be 15,750 Hz. But a
lot has to do with age. The last time I had a hearing test (~5 years ago) I
could barely hear 15 KHz and 16 KHz, not at all. My hearing is probably worse
than that now. Interesting thing about HF loss with age. You don't really
notice it and it doesn't seem to change one's perspective with regard to
music. Must be some psychoacoustical phenomenon going on there.