Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

Default Rumbling SD condenser mic problem

Hi all,

I have a Behringer B-5 condensor mic, long out of warranty, that has
developed a 'stomach rumbling/rolling thunder' sound behind the audio, which
peaks erratically every 5-10 seconds as a 'shorting/fizzing' sound that
drives the signal into the red. The audio itself is not distorted, but fails
to mask the rising background rumble. It does this no matter whether the
omni or cardioid capsule is fitted, in fact even does so when no capsule is
installed. Since I have little to lose by investigating the innards, what
components would you suggest I test or replace in a repair attempt....it's a
"cheap-end" mic after all !
Thanks,
Ray