John Pepper

"normanstrong" wrote in message
news:Kiwcd.262731$D%.92291@attbi_s51...

"John Pepper" wrote in message
ink.net...

"normanstrong" wrote in message
news:g4ccd.375994$mD.50861@attbi_s02...

"John Pepper" wrote in message
news Is there any simple way that I can identify a musical instrument

hear
either on television or CD? I know experience would be the

first
answer,
but I have no "live" experience with musical instruments other

than
what I
hear, but I'd like to find out if I'm hearing a trumpet, flute,
violin, etc.
Are there any websites with samples of various instruments that

can listen
to that might help? Any other alternatives?

A Swede by the name of Lars-Erik Larsson wrote a set of

concertinos
for all the pitched instruments of the orchestra. Listening to

any of
them should give you an excellent idea of the sound of that

particular
instrument. There's a 2-disc CD set with all of them, but I don't
know the number. It has concertinos for:

violin
viola
cello
bass
oboe
bassoon
flute
clarinet
saxophone
horn
trumpet
trombone
tuba
and finally--piano

Norm Strong

Thanks, Norm. Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...borguide-20/70
2-6572270-3548813?dev-t=D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE

Yes. that's the one.

Norm

Thanks again, Norm. What I ended up doing was downloading the song samples,
which are one minute excerpts from what I assume is each track. Now the
question becomes, how can I tell which instrument I'm hearing from the
samples?

Thanks,
John