Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Confessions of an Iggerant 'Phile

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

No. I use Martin Logan Vantages about 10 ft way and about 7 ft apart.

Superb.

Then you didn't do something right. Stereo miking will work with cardioid
or
figure-of-eight mikes, but not with omnis. Use omnis and you WILL get
mono.

A single point stereo mike, not omnis. These are usually two coincident
cardioids aimed at 90 or 120 degrees. My favorite single point stereo was a
Sony M/S, but don't have it any more.

That was for hall ambience, and it can certainly work well that way as
long
as the auxiliary omnis are subordinate to the stereo pair. I've done that
myself and was most pleased with the results. I recently recorded a solo
piano in a (closed at the time) winery. I used the stereo mike directly on
the piano and two omnis at the other end of the hall near (but not in) the
corners. The space was palpable.

I would love to palp that! Is it for sale, or could you make a copy for me?

Pianos are another interesting topic about "stereo." They are almost always
miked so that we get the spread of the keys on playback, sometimes even a 10
ft wide piano. But in real life we don't usually listen that way. It is
usually positioned perpendicular to the audience with the lid open.
Sometimes in a pop group it will be mono miked for the reinforcement system,
but I am talking live piano.

Gary Eickmeier