Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 06:53:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'd expect there to be a crossover to the sub built in, even though these are passive xovers. Still, whether or not that was the design, Ima try hooking up my Blue Sky sub just for fun.

By the way, Manny LaCarubba (Sausalito Audioworks), who's as good a speaker designer as there is, uses subs in his systems. The twist is that he uses multiple ones, not just a single one. So it's not just that era!

problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

Unless the room is unusually well acoustically treated those areas are
plentiful even with a single low end driver. Room modes are really
hard to get rid of. I've managed to drop the peak-to-trough ratio to
about 13dB in my listening room and I have no idea how to improve it
short of going anechoic - which isn't happening.