Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

On Nov 1, 1:40 am, nebulax wrote:
I just uncovered a copy of Recording magazine from Oct 2001, and the
theme for this issue was mastering. They interviewed Doug Sax, and
when asked about what wire he used at the Mastering Lab, here's what
he said:

"We have done extensive listening to wire.We use Alpha
1775C. It is inexpensive, but very hard to work with since
it is solid core wire, and cannot be flexed much at all."

I looked up that wire at Alpha's site -http://www.alphawire.com/pages/194.cfm
. Seems to be a pretty basic communications cable. Has anybody else
tried using this as an interconnect?

-Neb

It's a common PVC copper wire, nothing special. I find the teflon
stuff to be clearer, like the belden 9182 which is a lan network cable
ideal for mic cables with it's 150 ohm impedance and 14 ohms per 1k
feet resistance and 8 pf per foot capacitance. Then the pure silver
Kimber stuff is in another league altogether.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades