Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

Default headphones

On May 8, 7:30*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I just want the set that f$%ks with the sound the very
least.

Which sound? The sound that comes up the cable or the sound in the room
you're in? If you are recording while sitting in the same room as the music
is playing, both are very important. *Read Scott's recent post - the sound
of headphones has a lot to do with the actual details of the construction of
the listener's ears. Even if the brain weren't part of the equation, no two
people hear headphones or earphones the same.

That means either electrostatics, or pricey dynamics. I
doubt such phones will reveal want you want or need to
know about your recordings.

The type of drivers has almost nothing to do with it.

By most informed accounts, Sennheiser and others *do about as well with a
very old basic technology: dynamics, as others do with exotics.

At the high end, price seems to be set by how gutsy the marketing department
is. Look at the migration of the top end of Sennheiser's line. AFAIK the
difference between 650s and the old, dropped-from-the line 580s is not that
much. My suspicion is that the 580s sounded way to good for their price
point. *Some $#!! stole mine, and I still haven't been able to pony up that
sort of money for that sort of thing. Then Sennheiser moved the goal posts.

I and a few of my clients like this big old pair of Sennheisers I
have. My favorite headphone company. GT