Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default headphones

On May 12, 1:53*pm, Nate Najar wrote:
On May 12, 11:37*am, Ty Ford wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:03:49 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

That's majorly inconsistant with my experience. The MDR7506 are smiley faced
EQed, but they are clean. If you're hearing distortion, it's probably what's
in the system. A lot of Chinese LD and SD mics have a lot of trash.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

hmmm... maybe my headphones are problematic then. *The trashiest mic i own is
a 414. *Most stuff gets the schoeps and dpa.....

The 414 (most every version I know) can be very spitty with a LOT of preamps,
Mackie included. Get it on a good preamp and the sound quality changes
dramatically.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Milennia HV3 here....

PS it's all you guys' fault I now can tell the difference between good
sound and bad sound. 5 year ago I had a mackie and the best mic i had
by a long shot was the 414. now it barely gets used because of the
schoeps and dpa. and milennia hv3 changed my world. and then there's
the 8 channels of True systems which aren't too shabby, especially for
that many channels in a single rackspace at the price. and I've
treatment on my walls and decent k&h monitors.

the only thing I'm missing is good converters, but I can't justify
that kind of investment when what I've got actually sounds fine all
things considered.

ps I've found if you mic stuff right you don't need to worry about
plugins because you'll require very little (or no!) eq and
compression!

I think I'll try to get new ear cups for my sonys and see how I do.