Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] is offline

Default Grammy TV Audio?

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:48:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

This is off-topic, but tangentially related:

In another recent live event, the President's State of the Union
speech, I kept flipping around to various networks to compare the
coverage. The video and audio quality was similar and excellent on all
of them except CNN: Their audio sounded very thin and phase-y, both
live and when later excerpted.

A big outfit like CNN, on a big event like this, should have tested
the pool* audio feed much earlier in the day, and had a backup in case
of problems. In a pinch, they could have "borrowed" audio from one of
the dozens of satellite "clean feeds" in the air at that point. What
were they thinking? Can't their chief engineer (or Audio 1) "HEAR" bad
audio?

*Now that I think of it, I believe CNN THEMSELVES were providing the
pool feed! Are you listening, Jon Klein?

I'm noticing this quite a lot lately and it's not just CNN.
It seems to move around.
I think to myself "are you guys actually listening to your own
channel?"

--

2/2/2010 11:24:37 AM