Ixkorr Oxkarr

Default Looking for simple WinXP audio editor

Hello, I am looking for a simple audio editing tool that can read and
write .WAV files, and runs on Windows XP. I would like to be able to
cut/paste sections of an audio file, add simple effects like fade
in/out, and perhaps perform some mixing between two audio clips. I had
been using Creative Wave Studio on Windows NT before, but that program
no longer seems to be available, at least not for Windows XP. Can
anyone recommend a free or relatively inexpensive commercial package
that has a minimal learning curve and runs on Windows XP?

Thanks,
IO