Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

Default Bose Patrician

In article ,
Chris Hornbeck wrote:

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:38:25 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]

I've heard that EV developed that 30" woofer as a
replacement when they lost their license to make
Klipschorn clones -- and they lost it because their
"clones" deviated a bit too much, and performed a bit too
poorly, to satisfy PWK.

That seems bass-ackwards to me. It is true that Klipsch started out using
EV drivers. He was a box-builder and systems integrator, not a builder of
speaker components. I don't know where the relatively small trickle of
drivers that EV sold to Klipsch affected EV's technical development or
business plans.

Klipsch continued to use EV-made drivers for many decades

The driver sets I bought from him in the mid- to late '60's are
definitely not EV units; I'm almost certain they are CTS. In any case,
"many decades" is a bit too long a time since the K-horn would only have
been in real production for something like 20 years when I bought mine
(he didn't really get started until after WWII).

Isaac