Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

Default Bose Patrician

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]

I've heard that EV developed that 30" woofer as a
replacement when they lost their license to make
Klipschorn clones -- and they lost it because their
"clones" deviated a bit too much, and performed a bit too
poorly, to satisfy PWK.

That seems bass-ackwards to me. It is true that Klipsch started out using
EV drivers. He was a box-builder and systems integrator, not a builder of
speaker components. I don't know where the relatively small trickle of
drivers that EV sold to Klipsch affected EV's technical development or
business plans.

I think the first woofer drivers Klipsch used were Stevens Tru-Sonic,
but as I recall being told, Stevens's quality control got poor, and
Klipsch had to go looking for another supplier (EV). EV provided drivers
to Klipsch, and he licensed EV to offer an enclosure kit called the
"Georgian", which was a (poorly) modified version of the Klipschorn (the
throat was "simplified" and didn't work as well, according to PWK). The
same unit may have also been available already assembled and finished; I
don't recall.

According to PWK, when he couldn't get EV to "fix" the Georgian throat
design, he cancelled the deal, and that's when EV built the 30-incher --
as an attempt to get similar low-end response without having to use
Klipsch's design.

Somewhat later, Klipsch was using CTS woofers; I don't know if there
were any others in between.

Isaac