Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-recording,rec.audio.misc
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Take 2: Recording at different bit depths/sample rates

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 06:00:16 -0500, Ty Roberts wrote
(in article ):

I'm starting a new thread about this because I apparently didn't make my
question clear enough the first time.

I want to experiment with different bit depths and sample rates,
to get a feeling for how the sound qualities vary as the bit depths
and sample rates get down into the low end (below 16 bit sound).
I have a computer/studio setup with a Firewire 410 interface. I can do
recordings into my sequencer, but it defaults to 24 bit and I think the
only other choice is 16 bit. I want to do lower bit depths than that.

I took a look at Audacity, but it seems to only support 32 bit, 24 bit,
and 16 bit.

Bit depths higher than 16 bits are not interesting to me at this point.
I already know what they sound like. I'm only interested in going down
from 16 to lower bit depths and slower sample rates, the range that
would be considered unsuitable for recording. I'm really interested in
getting a feeling for the qualities of the sound in this lower range.

As you might know, 12 bit samplers like the SP-1200 and some of the
older Akai machines, etc, are still very popular with Hip Hop musicians.
This vintage gear in many cases sells for more than current gear with
"better specs." They don't want better specs. They want the grungy
12-bit sound of an SP-1200. Some people writing for severely constrained
gadgets are playing with the lower limits of bit depth and sample
rate. In many cases, they're going below 8 bit sound. I'm gearing up
for a project with an engineer to do some stuff along these lines.

So that's where I'm coming from. I want to get a feeling for the sounds
down at the low end. I'm not concerned with whether anyone thinks they
can hear the difference between 24 and 32 bit recording.

In addition to what's been posted, there are also plugins; once called "bit
crusher" comes to mind. The challenge you face certainly has somewhat to do
with bit depth, but more importantly, perhaps, what chips and algorithms were
used. In other words, different mfgrs use different ingredients to bake
their cakes. If you want the "Akai Sound", simply going for the same bit
depth may not give it to you.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU