Steven Sullivan

Default No surround channels playing Dark Side of Moon SACD

Tim Roberson wrote:
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Is their any indicator light
that should be on when playing SACD surround (according to the manual).

If
so, is it on when the disk is playing? This will help isolate whether the
issue is with the tracking versus with the decoding/amplification.

The manual really doesn't go into much detail for SACD, apart from
describing how to selct the appropriate "area" from the setup menu (CD area,
2-Channel Stereo area, or 5.1 Multichannel area). Once you choose one of
these, the on-screen track listing has this choice diaplayed at the top
(whether this is being detected from the disc, I don't know). I've watched
the LED display, and there don't appear to be any relevant LED indicators -
just a red "5.1CH" that's always on no matter what.
I do notice that when "CD area" is selected, the SACD text on the LED
display changed to "CD" - so I guess it's doing something.

Out of interest, does any one out there own this disc? At the moment I don't
know whether I even SHOULD be getting anything out of the rear speakers !!!

Yes, you should. It's a bit conservative as surround mixes go, but there's
certainly surround content.

--
-S.