Posted to rec.audio.opinion
whosbest54[_2_] whosbest54[_2_] is offline

Default receiver and system questions (newbie!)

In article ,
says...

I keep reading that if you buy a turntable (LP player) you need a
dedicated pre-amp. If I buy a receiver like this one can I just plug a
turntable into the PHONO IN or do I need a separate pre-amp for it?

BTW I am thinking of getting the Harman Kardon HK 3390 as my receiver.
Do you think this is a good receiver for classical music? My price range
is $200 to $250 so this just fits in there.

Amazon has a pretty good description:

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B00198BOAM

This receiver has a phono preamp for a magnetic cartridge, so you're all
set if you get a turntable with that sort of cartridge, which should be
fine for your purposes. I haven't looked that closely at these newer USB
turntables - if they don't have a direct output for the phono input on
the HK, then avoid them.

I had a couple other questions:

Also if I use regular RCA cable to connect CD player to the receiver is
that sufficient for really nice sound when listening to classical music
or would I need to make sure the receiver has an optical input and if I
do that what type of cable would I need?

For your purposes and speaker setup, the line level analog input on the
HK will be more than adequate. You don't need to bother with a digital
audio input.

Overall do you think my system will be nice? If I wanted to upgrade in
the future what is a good set of entry level audiophile floor standing
speakers (and is it true if I get such speakers they can deliver the
bass well enough such that I no longer need a subwoofer?) and what is a
better CD player I could get? I don't care about multi-discs. I actually
prefer single disc CD players.

Go listen to speakers at a good audio shop with sources you prefer (bring
your own albums and CDs) and pick what sounds best to you in your price
range that are matched to your receiver's power output.

My RAO guide, linked below in my sig, contains some additional tips that
may be useful to you.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html