Zachary Uram Zachary Uram is offline
Junior Member

Default receiver and system questions (newbie!)

So far I have an old Technics SL-PG300 CD player, Polk Audio PSW 10 powered subwoofer and Polk Audio Monitor 30 pair of bookshelf speakers so all I need is a turntable and receiver.

My sole interest is listening to classical music so I don't care about video and other types of input sources.

I keep reading that if you buy a turntable (LP player) you need a dedicated pre-amp. If I buy a receiver like this one can I just plug a turntable into the PHONO IN or do I need a separate pre-amp for it?

BTW I am thinking of getting the Harman Kardon HK 3390 as my receiver. Do you think this is a good receiver for classical music? My price range is $200 to $250 so this just fits in there.

I had a couple other questions:

Some receivers advertise a "trigger" for a direct connection to the subwoofer, what exactly is this and what type of cable will I need for that? Is the performance better than using regular RCA cable?

Also if I use regular RCA cable to connect CD player to the receiver is that sufficient for really nice sound when listening to classical music or would I need to make sure the receiver has an optical input and if I do that what type of cable would I need?

Overall do you think my system will be nice? If I wanted to upgrade in the future what is a good set of entry level audiophile floor standing speakers (and is it true if I get such speakers they can deliver the bass well enough such that I no longer need a subwoofer?) and what is a better CD player I could get? I don't care about multi-discs. I actually prefer single disc CD players.

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to be on these forums.
Zach