Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Polarity/Ground Questions

On 1/6/2021 8:56 PM, Gary Vee wrote:
I live in an older home with non-grounded electrical on the 2nd floor. The house had been remodeled and they installed GFI receptacles throughout. I would expect these to provide the necessary protection if needed. My question is related to audio equipment with grounded AC connections. Does a free-floating ground effect the proper operation of interconnects between balanced equipment?

There is a difference between "non-grounded" outlets and 2-pole outlets
without a separate ground. The ground in two-pole outlets is connected
to the outlet mount (the frame that attaches the sockets to the outlet
box. Houses with metal conduit and metal outlet boxes carry that ground
to the breaker box where it is tied to the common between the two phases.

When GFIs are installed in those boxes, the the ground socket is tied to
the common, often by attaching a wire to the box. The GFI will function
normally, ergo, they are safe.

If your house does not have metal conduit and boxes or does not have 3
wires going to the socket, it is still possible to make a safe, grounded
connection, but I would suggest letting an electrician to the work.

Also all the outlets are connected to one phase. I read some years ago that it's recommended to divide up power usage between the line phases.

I would not recommend putting two phases into a room used for
electronics and audio. The result would be to double the voltage between
equipment on different phases. If you grab a mic connected to a mixer on
one phase while holding a guitar plugged into an amp on the other phase,
you will be immediately physically informed of the problem. ;-)

It would really be difficult to install new wiring so I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to upgrade the wiring.

That depends on the house, and access to the wiring from room to breaker
box. Since you are asking these questions, your best option will be to
hire an electrician who can keep your house up to code.

--
best regards,

Neil