Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

Default AMD or INTEL

"mc" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Actually, for audio recording and mixing purposes, the AMD chip is
generally regarded as outperforming the Intel chips. I'll have to rely
on others to explain why, as I don't know.

It could well do some computations faster. If I were trying to build a
Pentium-compatible chip without violating Intel's patents, I'd probably
end up with somewhat different amounts of time taken to execute some of
the instructions. Generally, when a CPU is redesigned from scratch, the
redesigners end up making some of the instructions appreciably faster
because they think of things the original designers didn't think of, or
they know (from experience) that some instructions are more frequently
used than the original designers foresaw. One of the things you'd do, of
course, is study existing software to see which CPU instructions it's
using in time-critical portions.

As you can guess, I'm a computer scientist, not a musician...

Interesting speculation. Thanks.

Harry