Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Receiver Thinks Headphones Plugged in When they Aren't -- Fix?

Richard Crowley wrote:
: wrote ...
: "Richard Crowley" wrote...
: It seems quite likely that the "normaling" contacts (the ones which
: connect the speakers when the headphone jack is withdrawn) are
: dirty, which causes the kind if intermittent operation you describe.
:
: You could try acquiring some contact cleaner in an aerosol (spray)
: form and squirt it into the jack, then insert and withdraw a plug to
: exercise (and ~clean) the contacts. Better would be to gain access
: inside the equipment and spray the contacts directly.
:
: Not exactly. Modern receivers like the Onkyo have sensing switches which,
: when the headphones are plugged in, communicate to the microprocessor that
: the speakers should be turned OFF and (generally)the multiple channels
: should be downmixed to stereo. My guess is one or more bad solder
: connections at or very near the headphone jack, or the headphone jack
: itself could have sustained some minor damage from usage.

: One would think that if that were the case the OP would have heard
: significant clicking or even buzzing from the speaker relays, etc.

The receiver does click, once, when I change from one function to another,
e.g., from Video1 to DVD to Video2. And When I place my finger atop the
headphone jack, it clicks also. Is this what you mean, or do you mean repeated
clicking (which I don't have)?

-- Andy Barss