ScottW

Default Note to the Idiot

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

There is almost infinite depth of detail one can explore
measurements. Occasionally my work is to conduct a
detailed performance evaluation of a cellular data modem
in harsh environments.
I can almost guarantee you I can find a deficiency if you let
me test long enough. Last one dropped 10 db in receive
sensitivity only after a channel handoff at cold temps.
Dumb luck we found it.

Maybe we are simply being to general in this discussion. You seem to

think
there have been specific measurements that would suggest audible

performance
that is in conflict with the subjective report of specific gear. If that

is an
accurate assesment then it might be better to discuss such specific

reports.

I'll have to browse the archives. I'm sure a good example shouldn't be
hard to find. I'm also sure avid Stereophile readers could point out a few
examples with ease. I've been a casual reader at best.

I said

Maybe in some cases
there were other influences including component synergy.

Scott said

Still, that should be measurable.

But they have to be measured. Are you suggesting that maybe Stereophile

is not
making measurements they should be making?

No, not until the measurements say there isn't an audible
difference yet a DBT confirms there is.

I said

Maybe in some cases
the reviewer was just off the mark.

Scott said

I think the easiest way to know is the DBT.
If the reviewer is not off the mark, then I'd like
to see Anderson embark on figuring out which
measurement needs to be added to his repertoire
to show the delta.

I am not against it but I think you are suggesting that Stereophile

should
conduct some very challenging research to corolate subjective impressions

with
measured performance.

Well, let's first remove the subjectivity and simply
confirm audible differences.

ScottW