Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Background Masking Ratio

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 10:42:08 AM UTC-5, mcp6453 wrote:
It's been a long time since I heard the explanation, but there is a ratio below which a foreground vocal will mask a
second microphone's pickup of that same vocal in the mix. The ratio of the amplitude is 1:3, as I recall. Can anyone
tell me what that effect (or law of physics or phenomenon) is called?

I think you may be referring to the 3 to 1 rule that explains how far away one mic has to be from a source than another to achieve basic isolation.

The Haas effect has to do with how many milliseconds of delay can be used before the delayed signal sounds like a discrete echo. Typically that's around 20 mSec.

Regards,

Ty Ford