Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] themend@gmail.com is offline

Default Restoring a Sherwood S-5000

Hi there!

Cool to see you here! I remember that video on YouTube! Man, what a fantastic rig you have behind it.

Looks like you have a later version of the S-5000 that I refer to as the short chassis, which is also the one I am working on here. From the video it looks like some work has been done on it already, notably the bias supply rectifier looks to have been replaced. We should also check the date codes on the capacitors to see what has and has not yet been done.

So far in this thread, I have measured the HV+ rail, and the bias+phono filament supply. Then, I replaced the selenium rectifier with an odd little arrangement of diodes and caps that I will explain later... Usually folks use one cap to hush the diode noise, I now use three; two at the diodes from their inputs to ground, and one on the bias voltage wire at the junction with the first electrolytic filter cap. That last one hasn't been added in my amp yet since that junction is going to be done along with the filter caps.

So, when you have a chance, check out those voltages (be careful, these are HIGH voltages) and post your results. Also, I am curious to see what make of tubes you have in your phono section, or for that matter the whole amp. From the top front of the amp, these will be the first two tubes, from left to right. They're directly behind the selector and balance knobs. If you're not sure what make they are, snap pictures of them. I am interested to see if they are Telefunken or not.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or issues. Oh, and welcome to RAT, by the way.

-forkinthesocket