Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dav1936531@is.invalid is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:43:03 -0500, "Steve King"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 05:20:01 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

On Apr 3, 7:21 am, alex wrote:

do you mean the one acting as "snare" drum in the pattern?

Here, that haunting, echoing "ponk" sound. I've heard it described as
sounding like a racquetball caroming off a wall. Doesn't sound at all
like a snare.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...Mercy_pong.mp3

That's a cow bell. Sounds like it's miked with filtering and struck
with a yarn mallet rather then a wood stick.
Dave

That's what I've been thinking. I had a producer client that used to use a
cloth glove. He stuck his gloved hand inside the cow bell to dampen the ring
or just pinched the edge depending on the effect he wanted.

Steve King

I have listened to a couple of more times. It might also be a special
studio rig created by some tinkerer. I might be a cowbell bolted in
some way to a temple block. It does have a sort of woody sound to it
also, as well as the attack and decay of a cowbell stuck with a yarn
mallet. It's a very famous disco era sample however they did it.
Dave