Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

I'm a drummer/percussionist, and am having a devil of a time
answering your question. After listening several times, I really
can't say! Pretty clever, really. I tend to agree with other
posters that it could be a heavily processed conga or bongo slap.
Or it could be another kind of drum, maybe a dumbek. But that
is honestly just a guess -- it could be a household item.

brassplyer wrote:
: On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive echoing
: "ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something. Anyone know
: how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it on other songs
: as well.