Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On 03 Apr 2011, "Don P." wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I went back and listened to both the multitrack and the final mix.
I can get close to what they did in the mix if I pan the conga
track hard left, EQ it really badly to bring out the high slap,
and send it thru a plate. Gotta keep turning the reverb send up
and down on the conga slap to keep the whole track from swimming,
so they were most likely gating the reverb send to only let the
"ping" get through.

Thing is, though, that the conga track is quite busy - I think there
are at least two conga players playing simultaneously. I think it would
be difficult or impossible to EQ the track so that you couldn't hear
the other drum beats but the ones on 2 and 4, which are so forward in
the final mix. I think you'd still hear traces of the the other conga
hits, especially with that big bright reverb.

Maybe it is a high-pitched conga, since they obviously had them there
at the session. It could have added later.

Or someone could have been playing something live during the mix.
That would have been easier than trying to isolate the single hit
from the track. Who knows?

That's what I'm thinking.