Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Multi-Channel "Multimedia audio" for Windows

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
I think that would be a good question for one of the "sound card"
newsgroups. I suspect that most of us here aren't into the "fru-fru"
consumer sound cards with all the artificicial synthisis rubbish, etc.

My, but you've been crotchety lately, Richard. My question isn't about
sound cards or synthesis, it's about Windows audio applications. If you
can't talk about that, then cool it and let others offer what they know,
if anything. I'm trying to approach this from a professional direction and
I would appreciate the courtesy of a professional answer (or none at all
if you don't have one).

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. I think what you are asking for is
some method of taking conventional 2-channel audio sources and
making them come out of the 5.1 channels of speakers on a computer.
(Whether just routing the 2 channels to multiple outputs, or creating
some kind of artifical "ambience" or whatever)

If that is your question, I am saying I believe that is a function of the
*sound card and its drivers*. It is NOT a function of the source
(the media player, etc.) and it is NOT a function of the operating
system (unless it is part of one of the special "media" versions of
recent OSes like Vista which I am not personally familiar with)

If that is NOT your question, then I misunderstood and I apologize.
However if that IS your question, then I think you are looking for
a solution in the wrong place (and I'm not refering to newsgroups)
And that is my professional answer. I wasn't intending to come off
as crochety.