Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Multi-Channel "Multimedia audio" for Windows

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

The games have real multi-channel outputs, don't they?
(i.e. not just 2-channel stereo like a CD or an MP3)

Yes. When I was shopping for a new computer, I saw lots of garden variety
audio hardware that had three pairs of line outputs. The Satellite has six
real 1/4" TRS jacks for outputs. In a DAW, I can assign tracks or mix
buses to those outputs. I can see what I'm doing, and it works just like I
expect. But this guy I'm trying to help isn't looking at using it in a DAW
environment, he wants to use Windows Media Player.

So what I'm looking for is what the Windows Sound equivalent is to
selecting the output destination for a track in a DAW.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the MPEG-2 and DVD diversion. That
was just a source that I could play using a "media player" that presumably
provides six channels of audio. I was just trying to figure out how to
make them come out the six holes in the Satellite and couldn't see
anywhere in Windows to do that.

I think that would be a good question for one of the "sound card"
newsgroups. I suspect that most of us here aren't into the "fru-fru"
consumer sound cards with all the artificicial synthisis rubbish, etc.
There's probably a nice gaudy SoundBlaster product that does
just what your friend is asking for. Or maybe even a 3rd party
surround synthizer that could be plugged-in.