Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Multi-Channel "Multimedia audio" for Windows

Richard Crowley wrote:

The games have real multi-channel outputs, don't they?
(i.e. not just 2-channel stereo like a CD or an MP3)

Yes. When I was shopping for a new computer, I saw lots of garden
variety audio hardware that had three pairs of line outputs. The
Satellite has six real 1/4" TRS jacks for outputs. In a DAW, I can
assign tracks or mix buses to those outputs. I can see what I'm doing,
and it works just like I expect. But this guy I'm trying to help isn't
looking at using it in a DAW environment, he wants to use Windows Media
Player.

So what I'm looking for is what the Windows Sound equivalent is to
selecting the output destination for a track in a DAW.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the MPEG-2 and DVD diversion. That
was just a source that I could play using a "media player" that
presumably provides six channels of audio. I was just trying to figure
out how to make them come out the six holes in the Satellite and
couldn't see anywhere in Windows to do that.

me he
)