Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Multi-Channel "Multimedia audio" for Windows

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
I'm using Media Player Classic, which uses the VLC MPEG-2 codec. Maybe
that's not capable of giving me surround sound. I just don't know anything
about these things. I tried using Media Player 9, but that tells me that
it doesn't have the proper codec to play a DVD. Obviously I have a
suitable codec, but Media Player (and Microsoft's decoder checker) can't
seem to find it. No big deal. I don't care if that's a Microsoft quirk.
I'll let that pass (and please, you do, too).

But that would seem to be more a function of the "sound card" and
its bundled drivers, utilities, and toys (vs. a function of the "sources"
like Media player, etc.) I would think that the plastic consumer sort
of sound cards ("Sound Baster, et.al.) would have synthisizers to
create "suround" sound out of conventional stereo sources.

I'm not going to go out and buy something to do this - heck I don't even
have surround speakers anywhere. But if the answer is "you need to buy a
real DVD player application" then that's what I'll tell this guy. But what
do all the game players use?

The games have real multi-channel outputs, don't they?
(i.e. not just 2-channel stereo like a CD or an MP3)