Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Mic preamp comparison

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 8:49:20 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 22/05/2021 5:07 am, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:01:31 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 21/05/2021 11:46 am, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:13:49 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 20/05/2021 10:40 pm, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 6:20:19 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 20/05/2021 9:17 am, Tobiah wrote:
I recorded two mono channels, each through a different preamp into the same
audio interface. I normalized those, then arranged the results as A/B/A/B
into the same sound file.

All things were as equal as I could make them, other than the preamps.
Can you detect a difference? Do you like one better?

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/2_pres.wav

Later, I'll disclose the premps.

Tobiah
One seems to give a little more twang off the higher strings than the other.

On my cruddy computer speakers at least ...

geoff
____

Different EQ on one of the versions perhaps?

Doh. I don't think the OP is as dumb.

geoff
____

Just pointing out that I'd attribute any audible
difference to mastering than to any difference among
preamps, or DACs, etc.

Only a ****wit would think of mastering tracks in any way whatsoever for
a mic preamp comparison.

geoff

_______
It is to the DEGREE of difference(pre-amp vs pre-amp vs different masterings)
which I am referring. Understand now?

Just 2dB of top added to one of those recordings, or 1dB of mids scooped
out, and that's a bigger difference than the difference between two well made
pre-amps.

Yes, I understand, but you apparently still don't. No mastering should
be done at all.

________
That's why I hear no difference!

It is a mic preamp comparison.