Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

On 15/02/2021 12:26, wrote:

What do you use you blend it in so the sound is seamless? An equaliaer? The sub controls?

Level controls in the main speaker amps and the sub, parametric
equalisation, room treatment such as acoustic foam at the reflection
points and bass traps. Enough soft furnishings. As I said, it's not
straightforward. Placing the sub on the mix engineer's chair and
crawling round the room until I got the best balance on the bass, then
putting the sub where my head had been was part of it. The tricky bit is
controlling room reverb while avoiding standing waves, and concepts such
as live end/ dead end come into play.

Still, once it was done, that was it. It was a pain, but it was worth
the effort.

I am about to build a control and mixing room for a recording space, and
the space available is a bit too small to be ideal, so I am using tricks
like a sloping ceiling and non-parallel walls.

The sweet spot in the last one I set up was reasonably large, but if you
were in exactly the right position, it sounded like the world's biggest
pair of headphones, but with bass you could feel.

I have a Yamaha YST-SW315, which seems adequate, but I've always been intriqued by the Denon claims. My old Pioneer VSX-31 has room adjustment to some
degree, but I was never quite satisfied that their version worked well.

The problem with all such adjustments is that they can only adjust what
leaves the speaker, not what happens to it afterwards, and getting that
right is the tricky bit.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.