Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On 20/10/2019 1:07 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
On 20/10/2019 1:03 AM, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
On 13 Oct 2019 21:26:46 GMT, Trevor Wilson wrote:

snip

Â* Do they actually use FB?

**EVERY amplifier uses NFB. Every single one. Regardless of technology
or claims from manufacturers.

Â* If I look
at the spec sheet of the TDA7492Â* it doesn't look like it. Do they
sound worse than a good analog amp?

**I see a loop feedback mechanism in the block diagram. I see some
audibly significant problems with the amplifier. Max THD is cited aas
0.4% and the frequency response is poor, compared to even modest Class
A/B amplifiers. The low switching frequency ensures that low impedance
(4 Ohms) loads are not well catered for.

The TDA7492 has a switching frequency of typically 310 kHz. How is
this related to bad handling of a 4 ohm load, and why is that
dependent on the load resistance? And this IC is specified for 4 ohm
or more.

The low frequency fall off is deliberate (page 24 of the ST spec),
easily fixed by increasing the input size capacitor. The
THD-versus-frequency plot is indeed not impressive, THD rises in
spots to 0.2 %. You don't happen to have a link to a similar plot
from a good quality analog amp? Also, a link for a similar FFT plot ?
I am curious.

The IC is also dirt cheap, on a board for less than 10 $. For that
price, it is superb value for money.

There is indeed a feedback path from the OUTx pins to the second amp
inside.

snip
For a professional product, see e.g.
https://icepower.dk/products/other/a-series/ . Its datasheet is at
https://icepower.dk/download/2414/ . It supports loads down to 2.7
ohm loads. Again I wonder what the switching frequency has to do with
load.

I wonder if the phase plot can be matched by any analog amp, or even
the output resistance of 50 mOhm .

Mat Nieuwenhoven

So would it be worth my while to buy one or two of these and play with
them?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796154933.html I have a few ~100w
laptop power bricks around that I could use to feed power to them (that
I could supplement with a large local capacitor...).

I realise it's in a different class to the links you provided but I
don't have a big budget. That said I don't have money to waste either...

Cheers,

**Depends on what you are trying to achieve. For 4 Bucks, it represents
very good value for money, for an amplifier that can make some noise. It
ain't 'proper' hi fi, but it will certainly outperform many highly
prized (and very expensive) valve amps. It cannot hope to perform as
well as any competently designed Class A/B solid state amp though.
Still, it is FOUR BUCKS!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au