Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

John Doe wrote:

The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

This is likely a D/A converter in a box and as such may affect your
sound. However, it might be better than whatever D/A you're using
currently.

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
but I suppose there is a replacement.

God, I hope so. Get all that awful crap out of your signal path, and
keep it as far away as possible.

If I were you, I'd just look into fixing the ground loop. Are you running
an XLR cable out of your soundcard into the powered speaker, or are you
trying to pull out of an unbalanced output? If it is the unbalanced output,
try lifting pin 1 on the XLR side and adding 0.1uF ceramic caps between
pin 1 and 3 and pin 2 and 3 on the XLR connector. This lifts the ground at
the speaker side and filters some RF off... it's not as nice as a real
transformer but it's often a workable solution if you can't get a proper
balanced output.